|Location:||Hibbing, MN||Country:||United States||Job Code:||2522||Position Type:||Salary|
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. is an international mining and natural resources company. The
Company is a major global iron ore producer and a significant producer of high-and low-volatile metallurgical
coal. Cliffs' strategy is to continually achieve greater scale and diversification in the mining industry through
a focus on serving the world's largest and fastest growing steel markets. Driven by the core values of social,
environmental and capital stewardship, Cliffs associates across the globe endeavor to provide all stakeholders
operating and financial transparency.
The Company is organized through a global commercial group responsible for sales and delivery
of Cliffs' products and a global operations group responsible for the production of the minerals the Company
markets. Cliffs operates iron ore and coal mines in North America and an iron ore mining complex in Western
Summary of Principal Functions:
The position will have an operational focus with emphasis on customer service and day-to-day procure to pay
processes. The Buyer will manage transactional activities related to the purchase and delivery of a wide array of
assigned commodities. The Buyer is responsible for developing and issuing RF(x) documents, performing bid
analysis, purchase award and placement, and follow-up expediting. Additional responsibilities will include the
identification of new suppliers, managing supplier relationships and creating purchasing documents as
- Manage procurement of assigned commodities in agreement with district and corporate policies and
- Manage transactional activities related to the purchase and delivery of assigned commodities at
their lowest total cost and required delivery
- Ensure customer service by proactively identifying customer
needs and improvement opportunities
- Continually work to improve data accuracy and systems
- Automate the Purchase-to-Pay process (P2P) through Ellipse functionality
requisitions to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Track and analyze performance metrics for suppliers within assigned commodity groups to develop and implement
- Actively pursue supply-base rationalization for economic and administrative
- Monitor and interpret changes in the supplier market to influence program
- Evaluate supplier capabilities and establish sources for new technologies and in new markets
as business requirements dictate
- Act as a subject matter expert for respective commodity groups
- Construct, present, and promote
long-range commodity procurement plans and strategies
- Pursue product standardization and optimization
- Regularly collect and analyze commodity data to develop commodity profiles
- Organize and lead programs; present progress reports and improvement plans
- Promote the commodity-based
procurement philosophy to educate stakeholders and drive business improvements
- Ensure organizational
financial goals are met, including budget, service levels, and savings
- Interface with stakeholder
functional groups to ensure needs are assessed, understood, and incorporated into the program’s
- Build a network of information and trust throughout the organization
- Pursue continuous
improvement/TCO projects both internally and externally together with Operations, Maintenance, Engineering and
- Develop innovative sourcing alternatives to inject competition and mitigate risk in commodity
- Utilize Cliffs’ seven-step sourcing process, including team development, communications
planning, strategy deployment, negotiations, award, and implementation
- Present initiative summaries to
site personnel and corporate management
- Bachelors degree (RQ)
- CPM (PF), CPSM (PF)
- 1 to 2 years professional experience in Procurement or related field
- Financial Analysis -Understanding financial concepts (e.g., time value of money), cost
structures / models, and determining financial impact of decisions.
- Project Management -
Organizing and managing projects taking into account priorities, resources, budgets, issues and constraints to
achieve desired results; defining clear project scope and objectives; utilizing software and tools (e.g., MS
Project, MS Excel, Gantt charts) to plan, track & report status.
- Strategic Orientation and
Thinking - Creating and executing strategic direction in area of responsibility anticipating and
visualizing both short and long-term impacts, consistent with the enterprise's
- Negotiation and Influence - Conferring, influencing and settling situations
with a customer / colleague in a professional and positive manner.
- Communication Skills
– Listening actively to colleagues, internal customers and suppliers to identify key points, and clearly and
concisely communicating to others by tailoring to specific situations.
- Resourcefulness and
Flexibility - Challenging the status quo, identifying and pursuing new ideas and opportunities to add
value and/or solve problems, and modifying approach and behaviors as necessary to get the desired results. Can
adapt work plan to adjust to unforeseen issues or changes in timing, scope, etc.
-Working effectively with others in a team environment, including assuming and executing "fair share" of
workload; is flexible and willing to compromise.
- Change Management - Aligning one’s
own work efforts and subordinate’s work efforts quickly to adjust for a business change. Maintaining an
understanding of the dynamics of change and performs and directs a variety of change-related
- Conflict Management - Managing and effectively resolving the difference in needs,
objectives and values for internal customers and colleagues.
- Risk Management - Analyzing
the relative costs, benefits, risks and opportunities associated with various alternatives in order to determine
their feasibility, the effect on budget and schedule, and the effect on the quality of products and
- Problem Analysis and Decision Making- Analyzing problems, considering and
profiling alternatives, and making timely and balanced recommendations and business
- Technical Skills – Highly skilled in the MS Office suite (Excel, Access,
PowerPoint, Word), experience with business systems and data structure, sequel, database queries, data access, and
- Business Performance Measurement (KPIs) - Accessing, calculating, and
understanding key Supply Chain performance indicators in order to determine business performance trends on a
- Safety - Embraces and understands the criticality of
- Governance/Policies and Procedures- Understanding and applying governance
structure, policies and procedures relevant to job, including levels of authority, integrity and ethical
behaviors. (e.g. understanding and applying knowledge of company’s goals and strategies, policies and
procedures, organizational structures and alliances).
- Spend and Demand Analysis- Analyzes
spend and requirements patterns to identify areas of potential leverage.
- Industry & Market
Analysis - Analyzes the structure and dynamics of industry and specific markets to identify potential
suppliers, cost drivers, constraints, strategic levers, etc.
- Sourcing Strategy Development &
Implementation - Blends industry / competitive analysis, business knowledge and procurement expertise to
develop sourcing strategies, executes the strategy, measures results, and renews the strategy as market conditions
- Total Cost of Ownership - Understands key business drivers beyond price (e.g.,
quality) that determine the total cost of ownership (TCO) of goods / services.
- Supplier Analysis,
Screening and Selection - Collects and analyzes quantitative and qualitative information to assess,
screen and select suppliers.
- RF(x) Development and Execution - Understands when to use an
RFP (price and non-price factors) and RFQ (price only), and how to develop, execute and analyze the
- Supplier Negotiation - Prepares, coordinates and conducts negotiations with
suppliers. Negotiates agreements to achieve results that support sourcing strategies and business
- Contract Planning and Execution -Understands what type of contracts to use,
understands boilerplates, can draft contracts, knows how to work with Legal, tracks execution, and initiates
sourcing prior to expiration dates.
- Supplier Relationship Management - Manages supplier
relationships by utilising supplier management programs and identifying continuous improvement initiatives. Tracks
supplier performance and provides feedback. Looks for opportunities to build mutually beneficial business
relationships by matching external supplier capabilities with strategic business
- Customer Relationship Management -Identifying and managing key internal
customer relationships, understanding their needs and expectations, and delivering high
- Supply Chain Management Foundation - Understanding SCM concepts and
cross-functional relationships, including procurement, forecasting, inventory, materials management, warehousing,
transportation and payment.
- Product / Service / Commodity Knowledge -Develops knowledge
of all products and services to support operations and Supply Chain customers. Develops product / category
expertise regarding (a group of) categories that supports the credibility of the sourcing function among internal
customers and suppliers.
- Procurement Applications - Utilizes applications / systems to
plan and execute Procure-to-Pay processes, including compliance tracking and
- Procure-to-Pay Process- Understands and applies Procure-to-Pay processes to
including requisitioning, PO processing and financing activities.
- Materials & Inventory
Planning- Executing the functionality needed to plan the purchase of raw materials and MRO items,
collaborate with internal customers and develop inventory targets for stocked items.
Management– Perform activities involved in identifying material and/or items that are candidates
for return, repair/maintenance, scrap, and obsolescence.